Don't Drive - Get A Ride
Combating the DUI dilemma can seem insurmountable at times but the problem can be addressed by education, choices and technology.
Put simply, the best way to avoid a DUI is to not drink alcohol and drive a car. But if you want to have fun and avoid the consequences of being caught driving drunk, arrange a limo before going out, designate a driver, call a cab or use Uber.
Many local bars will post a list of phone numbers for taxi services and some will even call a cab for you. If you plan to call a cab:
- Write your address down on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket. You can hand it to the Taxi driver who takes you home.
- Put a contact in your cell phone for the local taxi. Make the first character of the contact name a SPACE “ “ so it will appear first in your contact list.
- Have cash ready to pay for your ride.
Why stop there when you can PLAN a special evening in a limo.
- Plan the evening's events with the driver beforehand. Make the plan and stick to the plan. Once you are drunk in the limo, just remember:
- Keep the windows closed
- Don't stand up through the sunroof
- Don't distract your driver
There's an App for That
Ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft are available in many cities, including Augusta. Both offer a convenient alternative to the traditional taxi with better communication. Some let you rate and choose your driver. Signing up requires a simple online form and a credit card. From there you simply download an app to your smart phone and you’re ready to go.
Check availability and sign up for service through one of these apps BEFORE you need to actually use it.
Don't wait till you've been drinking to enter credit card info for anything!
Search for discount codes. You can usually find a discount code good toward your first time use of these apps/services.
Enter your discount code when you sign up.
We also recommend these apps as an alternative to being the passenger of a drunk driver. See the Passenger