Elmer H. Young - Georgia DUI Attorney

Free Strategy Session Augusta and Macon: 706-284-4380 Savannah, Statesboro and Effingham: 912-400-0955

Have Questions?
Ask Pete Young

912-400-0955

Seven days a week
from 8:00 am
to 3:00 am

 

Savannah-Chatham County, Georgia

You might want to think twice before drinking and driving in Savannah-Chatham County. In addition to officers from the Savannah Police Department and the Chatham County Police Department, a highly-specialized task force prowls the highways and byways of Georgia's oldest city and county.

Intense Defense DUI Attorney Elmer (Pete) Young was a long-time resident of Savannah and maintains a Savannah office to service clients in Savannah, Chatham County, Effingham County, Statesboro-Bulloch County and surrounding areas.

The Georgia State Patrol Nighthawks Task Force was established in the Atlanta area in October 2004 with 10 of the most highly trained DUI law enforcement officers in Georgia. The program is funded with a grant from the Governor's Office of Highway Safety. In 2006, the Nighthawks DUI Task Force received the International Association of Chief's of Police National Impaired Enforcement Award for their work in 2005.

The Georgia State Patrol Nighthawks South Task Force was established in 2009 and staffed with the most highly trained DUI law enforcement officers in Georgia. The Nighthawks South Unit focuses enforcement efforts in Chatham County (City of Savannah) and Bulloch County.The Nighthawks South Unit is assigned seven troopers.

These GSP specialized drunk driving enforcement units, with only about three dozen troopers and supervisors, made more than 15 percent of all DUI arrests in Georgia last year by concentrating their drunken driving enforcement efforts on areas with a high concentration of restaurants and bars. Georgia’s additional troopers, sheriff's deputies and police officers arrested the other 85 percent of DUI perpetrators.

The Nighthawks patrols are assigned to DUI checkpoint locations near major sporting events and festivities that attract (are known for) a high volume of drinking and driving. State troopers also establish DUI checkpoints. Usually six (or more) vehicles are deployed to a safety checkpoint or sobriety checkpoint around midnight when the traffic volume subsides. Multiple vehicles are needed for sufficient visibility and manpower to handle the DUI roadblock traffic. One car stays ready to give chase to any motorist who (by making an illegal traffic maneuver) tries to dodge the DUI checkpoint location.

Although the Nighthawks Task Force is particularly well-trained and utilizes the most current technology, individuals in the Coastal Empire who are charged with DUI convictions are still able to create strong legal defenses in response to charges. If you are involved in an South Georgia DUI accident, it is essential to retain the services of the DUI attorney in Georgia, Elmer (Pete) Young, who knows both how to craft strong legal defenses for clients.

Click for Free Strategy Session or Call Us at 912-400-0955